Thursday 4 August 2011

Confessions of a shopaholic....

Researching this piece has been a rather worrying experience. In and amongst my group of freinds it is a well- made joke that I am a complete shopping addict who 'has everything' as soon as it is out and would rather go hungry than have to stop shopping. This has always been my 'label,' if you like, in my friendship circle and I was OK with it- infact, I kind of liked that everyone thought I had an envious wardrobe full of all the latest stuff. However, I am coming to the realisation that I may infact have a problem. The worrying reading came when I read the chapter differentiating between 'normal shopping' and addiction. Apparently with addiction, the shopping becomes the person's main way of coping with stress- yep, the person carries on shopping even when it is having a negative effect on other areas of their life- yep and the person feels unable to stop and control their spending- yep, yep, yep! Having moved to London just recently I thought the compulsion to shop was only natural- everyone dresses so well here and I was just a girl from the country- a new wardrobe was a must. However, 5 weeks have gone by now and I'm fairly settled in my new life in the city and yet, the spending has not subsided- if anything, it has got worse! I am determined to try and beat my demons and rather than shop, shop, shop, create a more Gok-wan style 'capsule' wardrobe so that everything goes with everything and is interchangable... wish me luck! I think it's going to be a tough challenge... besides I need new stuff for the blogs sake...... ;)

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. I really enjoyed this post :)
    http://lindancube.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. That mulberry bag is to die for. My b'day coming up soon so it's going on my wish list. Hint hint! Anyone!!!

    ReplyDelete